- 1 The Recipe
- 2 Main: Chinese Fried (Rice) Quinoa – garlic, butter, mushrooms, carrots, ginger, beaten egg, quinoa, and minced green onion
- 3 Side 1: Southern Chinese Vegetables – Mushrooms, fried tofu, lots of bean sprouts and green onion in a light sweetened oyster sauce
- 4 Side 2: Chinese Salad (the right way)
Tonight has been a cooking breakthrough. This experiment is one of the most amazing meals I’ve ever cooked, and pretty nourishing for you too! I swapped out rice for quinoa, and it really worked out amazingly- I had no idea you could do that with quinoa. How versatile it is! This meal is completely vegetarian!
Main: Chinese Fried (Rice) Quinoa – garlic, butter, mushrooms, carrots, ginger, beaten egg, quinoa, and minced green onion
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 handful chopped brown babybella mushrooms
- 1/2 handful of chopped carrots
- 1-2 tablespoons of sliced and diced ginger
- 1 jumbo egg beaten, or 2 small eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- Quinoa to make 2 large servings
- 1 tbsp butter
Preheat large saucepan to medium heat. Add diced garlic and quinoa to toast for 3-4 minutes. Add 1 tbsp butter while browning.
Add sufficient water to quinoa in saucepan. Now add in the chopped mushrooms, carrots, and diced ginger. Cover and let cook for 7-10 minutes.
When quinoa looks almost done (fluffy and not dried out), pour beaten egg over quinoa and add minced green onions.
Turn off heat and turn quinoa to fluff egg. When egg is cooked, chinese fried quinoa is done.
Side 1: Southern Chinese Vegetables – Mushrooms, fried tofu, lots of bean sprouts and green onion in a light sweetened oyster sauce
- 1 cup sliced babybella mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fried firm tofu
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup coarsely cut green onion (~1-2 inches length)
- 2 cups white bean sprout (or 1.5 handfuls.. easier to grab)
Sauce : 1 tbsp oyster sauce diluted in 3 tbsp water, add 1 tsp sugar & mix (You can buy vegetarian oyster sauce from any Chinese grocery, or use mushroom sauce as a substitute)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in saucepan on medium heat.
Add mushrooms and tofu, cook for 5-7 minutes. When almost cooked, add green onions to sear altogether for additional 4 minutes.
In last 2 minutes add sauce.
In final minute add bean sprouts, turn off heat, and mix all together.
Side 2: Chinese Salad (the right way)
The salad is baby greens with dumpling sauce as dressing. I’m using Sorrento mix and dumpling sauce both from Trader Joe’s. However, you can easily make the sauce on your own:
How to make Dumpling Sauce: 1 part soy sauce, 1/2 part rice vinegar, 1/8 part sesame oil, 1/16 part chili oil